It is a cliche these days to worry about the range of Electric vehicles. I am sure you would also have given a second thought to whether your new EV would keep up to the expectation of your ICE vehicles. However, there lies something between your ICE and EV. Hybrid vehicles are a new way of travelling that is more eco-friendly and saves your time and money. Driving a greener vehicle shouldn’t mean sacrificing the style that you want to show off when you hit the road. There exists “n” number of HEVs around the globe. Today I will list some of the bestselling top Hybrid Electric Vehicles in the world.
1. Land Rover Defender PHEV
Land Rover Defender is the winner of the world car design of the year. The SUV PHEV has up to a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that produces 296bhp. It is paired with a 105kW electric motor and when both work together there’s a maximum of 398bhp and 640Nm of torque. You can recharge up to 80% in as little as 2 hours in public or 7 hours at home.
The vehicle contains a 19.2kWh lithium-ion battery unit that can provide up to 43km of range. The charging port with a Mode 3 charging cable is located on the left-hand side of the Defender P400e. A provision for Type-2 charging and an all electric-mode is also available. Defender incorporates regenerative braking to utilise the energy lost under deceleration to charge the battery packs.
In addition, the vehicle includes
- Blind Spot Assist to detect another car in your blind spot when you begin to change lanes.
- Clear Exit Monitor to help passengers exit safely from approaching hazards, such as passing vehicles and cyclists.
- Rear Traffic Monitoring System warns you of vehicles, pedestrians or other hazards approaching from either side.
- Adaptive Cruise Control will automatically keep your vehicle a safe distance from the vehicle in front
- 360° parking aid features with 4 cameras
2. Honda Accord Hybrid
The 2021 Accord Hybrid is in touring trim with Hondas with the two-motor hybrid technology. A 212 hp will drive you forward, giving you swift acceleration and athletic performance that will own the road. With a fuel economy of up to 23 km/litre, you can go further than your usual car.
Power for the hybrid Accord comes from a 2.0-litre four-cylinder IC engine and electric motor. A lithium-ion battery feeds the motor and the gas engine works as a generator that keeps the battery charged. A thoughtfully designed electric torque harnesses of 175 Nm @ 4000 rpm gives you a smooth and responsive ride.
Accord comes with advanced safety systems that include
- Forward-collision warning
- Lane-departure warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Lane-keep assist.
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind-spot monitor and rear cross-traffic alert
- Touring comes with front and rear parking sensors.
3. Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
The SUV HEV is designed to meet the needs of active, adventurous young generations. Internationally, the Toyota RAV4 is available with a range of powertrain options that include petrol-only, a hybrid and plug-in hybrid engine options with a range of 42 miles per gallon. The RAV4 Hybrid is powered by a 2.5-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine with 2 electric motors with 225kW output. In two-wheel-drive configurations, this powertrain produces 218hp, while in four-wheel-drive configuration, it produces 222hp.
The vehicle contains an 18.1kWh lithium-ion battery unit with a BEV driving range up to 95km. You can use a regular charger of 200V AC, 16A to charge the vehicle in approximately 5 hrs 30 min.
- You can be worry free with the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) that detects oncoming vehicles in your blind spot on the road.
- The Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) provides a warning chime for oncoming traffic when you are reversing out of a driveway or parking space.
- Front and rear parking sensors with 3D cameras will prevent you from misadventure.
- Pre-Collision System with Autonomous Emergency Braking (PCS with AEB), as well as vehicle, pedestrian, and daytime cyclist detection functions.
- Lane Tracing Assist with Lane Departure Alert function (LTA with LDA), steering assist, and lane centring function.
- It also provides all-speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), while Road Sign Assist (RSA) and Automatic High Beam (AHB) will allow you to focus more easily on the road ahead.
4. Hyundai Ioniq HEV
The Hyundai Ioniq was the first hatchback car to be offered in three different electrified states:
- Plug-in hybrid
- Fully electric.
The hybrid mates a 1.6-litre petrol engine with a permanent magnet synchronous motor for a combined 139bhp and 270Nm. It holds a 240 V Lithium-ion Polymer battery with a hybrid starter generator and a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. You get a range of about 25 km per litre while full-electric mode gives about 63km range.
The car consists of highway driving assists, front parking sensors, lane-follow assist, forward collision avoidance assist with pedestrian detection and regenerative brake level control paddles. Blind-spot collision avoidance assist, driver attention warning, automatic high beams and lane-keeping assist are the key features.
Round all this out with satellite radio, voice controls, internet streaming and we found the Ioniq HEV to be a well-equipped fuel-efficient car. It’s an impressively affordable one, too.
5. Toyota Camry – Self Charging HEV
The Toyota Camry Self-Charging Hybrid Electric Vehicle comes with a powerful 2.5L petrol engine with Dynamic Force 4-cylinder that meets a self-charging electric motor. The motor rotates silently delivering an optimum blend of improved output, fuel efficiency and emission performance. With a mileage of 20 kmpl, the new technology hybrid vehicle gives a premium look combined with utmost comfort.
The petrol engine makes 176 bhp of power and 221Nm of torque. On the electric end of things, the system has moved from a 650V to a 245V setup. Power output from the electric motor is now 139 bhp with a torque of 207 Nm. The pin-drop silence is because the Camry starts up in EV mode. Get going and it’s only the electric motor that drives the front wheel. Up to 40kmph, the electric motor leads the race. A throttle beyond it and the 2.5-litre petrol engine comes to life with a small gargle.
There’s anti-lock braking, brake assist, vehicle stability control and traction control as well. You also get front and rear parking sensors that let you park this behemoth without breaking a sweat. In total, this Toyota Camry Hybrid has it all.
Looking out for more HEVs in India? Most of them are launching this year. There are many more HEVs in the list specially carved for the Indian market. Stay tuned for more.
Meanwhile don’t forget to visit your nearest kiranas and small stores to find our charging station installed. You can charge your EVs anytime anywhere. Download the Charzer app now! and locate and navigate to the nearest charging station.